Information for Welsh border patients

Changes to NHS referral Services

Living in England and registered with an NHS Wales GP Practice – what does this mean when you are referred for onward NHS treatment?

Until recently, patients living on the border received their healthcare from the NHS in the country where their GP practice was registered.

So, patients living in England but registered with a Welsh GP practice received their care from the Welsh NHS, and vice versa.

Recent changes to the healthcare system in England mean that if you live in England and are registered with a GP practice that is either in Wales or is registered with the NHS in Wales, then the way you are referred to a consultant will be different to how you have been referred in the past.

If you live in Wales you will not experience any change.

Further details about the changes, and how they might affect you, can be found in the below leaflet.

ADD_1903_Cross border healthcare leaflet 2016 04 12_.pdf [pdf] 647KB

We have also written to patients who might be affected by these changes. A copy of the letter can be found below:

English registered patient letter Shropshire (2).doc [doc] 166KB

A list of FAQs regarding these changes can be found here