Prescription Ordering Direct (POD)
NHS Shropshire CCG operates a Prescription Ordering Direct (POD) service.
The POD Team handle repeat medication requests for a number of local GP practices.
This page covers:
- Find out more about the POD service
- POD service at-a-glance
- POD Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- General queries
The POD service has been developed and used across England to help you to request your medication(s) easily without the need to go into your GP Practice or Pharmacy.
The POD Team handle repeat medication requests for a number of Shropshire GP practices. Currently we cater to patients of: Belvidere, Bridgnorth, Cambrian, Caxton, Churchmere (formerly Bridgewater, Claypit Street and Ellesmere), Dodington, Marden, Marysville, Radbrook Green, Riverside, Severnfields (formerly Mount Pleasant and Haughmond View), Shifnal & Priorslee, and South Hermitage.
You will speak to one of our dedicated and fully trained prescription clerks, who deal with your prescription request and any queries that you may have. They will ensure that you have the correct quantity of medications, reducing the amount of waste generated.
Our lines are busiest between 9am to 11am, so you may find that if you call between these hours, your call cannot be taken. Please remember that we have a team of operators working within the call centre, which continues to grow as our practice list increases.
Please note: The POD team is part of NHS Shropshire Clinical Commissioning Group based in Shrewsbury, and is not employed directly by your GP practice. The POD Team can access your medical records, but cannot book appointments etc. All of your records are accessed securely and confidentially in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.
If you already have an arrangement with your community pharmacy for deliveries, this will not change. You simply need to request your prescription with POD, rather than with them directly.
See below to find out what the POD service can and can’t do...
Our Prescription Ordering Direct (POD) FAQs cover the following questions:
- Where is POD and how do I contact them?
- What happens when I call the POD team?
- What is EPS?
- Can a representative (spouse, parent, carer etc) order my medication for me?
- I am going on holiday/leaving the country/working away etc and I need an extra supply. Can I order more medication?
- What is the difference between an acute prescription item and a repeat prescription item?
- What if I don’t want to or am unable to use POD?
- Can you order my appliances through an outside contractor/supplier?
- Will my pharmacy still deliver my medications to me?
- I have tried to get through to POD and my call is disconnected. Why is this?
You can access the POD FAQs here.
If you have general queries or questions, patients can contact the POD Team directly on 033 33 583 509 (charged as a local call).