Tips for living with dementia
- Write yourself notes, a timetable or a diary to help you remember things. Consider possibly starting a life history book with friends and family.
- Keep useful numbers by the phone in large easily readable print and programme them into your handset.
- Calendars or diaries should be large, with the date and time, am and pm.
- Get a newspaper delivered every day to remind you of the day or date.
- Wipe on/off boards can be helpful for writing down daily tasks or appointments.
- Label your cupboards or drawers so you can find things easily.
- Keep keys, purses, bags or wallets in the same place which is labelled.
- Install gas detectors and fire alarms if you don’t already have them.
- Make a memory box or book of your favourite things or photographs. Photographs around the home with names attached may also be useful.
- Try establishing a good daily routine and continue to socialise with family and friends.
- Continue with those everyday activities which you enjoy by yourself or with family or friends.
- Try to keep physically active with activities such as walking, swimming, gardening or gentle exercises.
- Gardening, baking, puzzles, arts and crafts, reading or writing are all great ways to keep your brain active.
- Make time for rest & relaxation. Listening to soothing music or enjoying a massage or aromatherapy may be helpful.
- Consider breaking down everyday tasks into a series of simpler steps to follow.
- Try to have a healthy varied diet.